Caseepalooza 2012: The Dress

April 27, 2012 · 9 comments

in Style & Beauty

My birthday is happening next month, an event that has come to be known (by my own hand) as Caseepalooza in my house, contrary to the fact that I don’t actually like when my birthday happens. I’m one of those girls whom try to persuade the universe to skip over that day every year. But, as the saying goes, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em: and give it a funny name while you’re at it.

In recent years I’ve taken to revolting against the typical extroversion and instead I look at my birthday as a day of not having to feel guilty about ignoring responsibilities. Sit on the couch all day and watch movies with a big bowl of chili? I’ve done that. Delve into a book and come up for breath only when someone’s brought a cake around? Yep, I’ve been there, too. But in the last year I decided that maybe I could make a little tradition for myself, something that would be celebrating me in a simple way that would make me smile. And do you know what makes me smile? Fashion makes me smile. Dresses make me smile. So I decided, why not buy myself a dress for my birthday? The First Official Annual Caseepalooza Dress. (I am such a dork.)

Alberta Ferretti for Impulse Tiered Maxi Dress; $109, Macy’s

Anyway, when I saw this gorgeous number from Alberta Ferretti’s capsule collection for Macy’s Impulse line I thought maybe this was it. That royal blue, those ruffles, the sheer maxi-ness of it; I’m obsessed. I knew I’d love the collection, I was immensely excited for it, and as with Impulse’s previous collaboration with Doo.Ri I was swept away by a favorite piece. But what’s not sweeping me away is the price tag attached: $100+ is a whole lot of just-for-fun celebrating of Casee Marie, isn’t it? I’m all in support of loving yourself, but as a full-time “starving artist”, a blogger and writer and aspiring comfortable-liver, that is just an awful lot of self-love. Is the First Official Annual Caseepalooza Dress really worth it?

So I began a search, and I didn’t get too far before I was immersed; I stopped by ZoeBrianne‘s online boutique and fell in love with basically their entire selection of dresses. The best part? Each one below is under fifty dollars. Check it out:

Belted Pattern Dress | St. Barts Resort Dress | Sylvia Striped Maxi | St. Tropez Resort Maxi* | Asymmetrical Stripe Print Dress | The Anika One-Shoulder Dress**

I’m still undecided about what the First Official Annual Caseepalooza Dress will be, if it will actually exist at all, but these are all fast and heavy contenders. Let the games begin.

*The St. Tropez Resort Maxi is currently sold out – but it’s my faaavorite, look at those colors!
**The Anika was clearly named for my beautiful friend here; the feathers are the deciding factor.

Comments

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com April 27, 2012 at 11:34 am

So many gorgeous dress. How ever can you choose?
The bottom left one is my favorite. So bold and beautiful.

Heidi April 27, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I am sure you will find the dress. ;) Check consignment and vintage shops too- sometimes you can find great dresses there for not that much money! :)

Alexis Grace April 27, 2012 at 12:22 pm

You should absolutely buy a Caseepalooza dress!!!!!! And all your picks are great! I think my fav is the blue/white striped number!!!

Nnenna April 27, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I’m a huge fan of birthdays and I love to have extended celebrations with my friends when my birthday rolls around! I think buying yourself a dress is a fantastic way to commemorate Caseepalooza! :D

Honeysuckelle April 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm

My birthday is next week and I know exactly how you feel, but I always feel a little pinch of sadness if I don’t go out and celebrate my birthday. How could dresses not make someone happy? I’m a dress happy lady too, I had to organize my closet last night and my first thought was “hmm, need more dresses”. I love the blue dress, $109 is a bit pricey but a good maxi dress is hard to come by – especially one that isn’t clingy in the wrong places. I’m checking out both stores as I type this, I need some new dresses!

<3Honeysuckelle

Anika April 29, 2012 at 11:41 am

Honey my love, you are no dork! If you are then so am I. Ok, we are both dorks. But we are the best kind! I love you to bits, you funny, stunning woman you. Celebrate your self Casee Marie, you have every reason to. Mwuah!!!!!!!!!!!!

FASHION TALES May 1, 2012 at 5:05 pm

“Caseepalooza” haha I like that! I think my name is a bit long for a name that cool! I love that first beautiful dress … a special day such as your birth calls for a splendid evening and absolutely the right outfit to match! I really love the striped versions you’ve selected above, and the [early] Versace-esque looking halter style as well.

Jenmarie May 4, 2012 at 12:10 am

I can’t wait to see which dress you choose, if you can decide that is. They’re all so vibrant and beautiful. I actually can’t pick a favorite myself!

Laura S May 4, 2012 at 1:12 am

Oh, I LOVE the one-shouldered one. Though, it may be a little harder to pull off because of the loose shape and 1-shoulder… Honestly, I think they’re all beautiful!
It’s my birthday on Saturday (Cinco de Mayo WHOOO) and I’m going for a bit of shopping tomorrow to see if I can find a cute new dress to wear going out friends for birthday dinner/drinks/dessert. So exciting! When’s your birthday?
- Laura