DIY Décor: The Handbag Coat Rack

March 5, 2012 · 11 comments

in Home & Living

This is something I’ve been wanting to share since the holidays, but hadn’t taken the opportunity to snap pictures of it. My grandparents gave me a coat rack for Christmas, which had been on my imaginary wishlist, to be used for just this purpose: handbag display! As ridiculous as it probably sounds, this is something my mother and I saw in a house we were looking at when we were in the process of relocating to the east coast. The owner had done such a fantastic job decorating her house, I’d felt like I was on more of a décor tour than anything else. As I recall she had interwoven scarves and made an opulent little display of the coat rack, leaving it right inside the master bedroom door for easy access while getting ready. Practical and pretty – who wouldn’t be inspired?

I want to thank everyone so much for all your support of Literary Inklings (if you missed it, you can read all about it here). I’ll be working very hard to keep both the new blog and The Girl Who Stole the Eiffel Tower fresh and fun; I may be a bit wobbly as I learn to understand being the sole editor of two blogs, but balance is in there somewhere and with a lot of dedication I’m hoping I can find it!

Comments

Jenmarie March 5, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I’ve been wanting a coat rack for a long time and I think you might have just made me want one even more. Adding hand bags is such a fabulous idea and it doesn’t look silly at all! Who knew?

Casee Marie March 6, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Thanks, Jen! I know, we thought it was the coolest idea when we first saw it. I don’t think I ever would have considered it otherwise! But it’s so fun when you find new uses for everyday things like that. (:

niknok March 5, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Cool!!

Nnenna March 5, 2012 at 1:52 pm

This is a gorgeous coat rack! We’ve got one in my apartment, but right now it’s buried under a huge pile of coats! Another decor idea to save for when I’ve got more space :)

Casee Marie March 6, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Aww, well most coat racks are probably busy serving their purposes, right? ;) Maybe when the warm weather hits and the big coats can get packed away! You’d have fun with it, I could definitely see you adding scarves and things as well.

Juju @ Tales of Whimsy.com March 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Oh I love it! We have a coat rack and I love hanging my purse on it but I never thought to use it for purses.

Casee Marie March 6, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Thanks, Juju! It’s funny this isn’t a more popular thing – it’s pretty simple when you think about it, but I definitely wouldn’t have come up with it on my own.

Mariana March 5, 2012 at 8:16 pm

What a wonderful idea! And I absolutely love the black and red bags.

Casee Marie March 6, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Thanks so much! I kept a lot of my favorites out for display. ;)

Gabrielle March 9, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Wow I like this idea! Right now my handbags and scarves, as well as my go-to jackets are on this hook behind my door. I can practically hear it groaning from the weight of it all!

Libby September 3, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Hi Cassie!!!
Thank you so much for this brilliant idea. I love the coatrack you are showing– do you happen to remember where it is from?
Thank you!