The Girl Bakes: Basic Sugar Scones

January 25, 2012 · 23 comments

in Home & Living

In the midst of New England’s latest snowstorm I got the hankering to bake scones, something I’ve never done before. I didn’t want anything with a particular flavor theme because I was keen to the idea of slathering on jam or honey at leisure, so I decided to try concocting my own simple base recipe. You can easily mix it up by adding a bit of cinnamon, honey or even maple syrup to the ingredients, a cup of fruit or chips or nuts, compensating a bit here and there for the additions. The fact that I scrapped this together on such a whim and the result was actually quite good – that tells me you can do just about anything you want with this recipe and you should be fairly safe! And if you manage to wind up with something that doesn’t resemble a scone in either look or flavor…well, you’re a bit more talented than I am!

Basic Sugar Scones

3 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
8 tablespoons butter, sliced
4 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 egg
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon sugar

Slice the butter and let it sit at room temperature while you prepare the other ingredients. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into the mixture with two knives.

In a separate bowl mix cream, egg and vanilla extract. Gently stir the combination into the dry ingredients with a fork.

Set the mixture onto a working surface. Form it into a circular shape, either with your hands or a rolling pin. Cut into triangles (a plus sign, then an X). Gently place onto a greased baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven, sprinkle with sugar, and return to the oven for 12 minutes. Serve hot with jams or preferred toppings and a cup of tea, and enjoy!

Comments

Franca January 25, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I’m making scones this weekend! I think I might out currants in them.

Casee Marie January 26, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Perfect! I saw a recipe where someone used pomegranates as well, that would be interesting. I love the possibilities with them!

Kathryn January 25, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Those look delicious! I will have to try out the recipe this weekend :)

XX Kathryn

Casee Marie January 26, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Thank you! I hope you enjoy them! (:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... January 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm

O I have always wanted to try this. How perfectly lovely and British! What kind of tea did you enjoy them with?

Casee Marie January 26, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Aren’t they perfectly British? Sadly I had coffee in place of tea (though that seems entirely un-British of me), but I just haven’t found a tea yet that I’m fond of. I very strongly dislike the taste of hot water, which is why I typically go for coffee or hot chocolate – those things that are very particularly flavored and take away from the water. I know people often have tea with creams and such, so I should really try that soon!

Juju @ Tales of Whimsy.com January 26, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Aw that’s ok! :) But yes indeed you must experiment. Try Indian chai tea prepared at an Indian restaurant. It’s creamy smooth and lovely!

Karen January 25, 2012 at 2:09 pm

That’s it. I’m baking scones this weekend for breakfast. Thank you for the recipe darling, they look absolutely delicious.

Casee Marie January 26, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Ohh, wonderful! I hope you enjoy them – and you’re more than welcome! (:

Marissa January 25, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Scones are my absolute favorite! They feel so much more sophisticated then muffins, don’t they? Hahaha.

Casee Marie January 26, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Ha, they do! It’s like crepes, such a classy approach to pancakes. (Although I’ve actually never had crepes, clearly something I need to remedy…)

Jenmarie January 25, 2012 at 3:11 pm

These look so delicious! Baking is always fun when it’s cold and crazy outside and I have no idea why!

Casee Marie January 26, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I know what you mean! Baking is just so cozy and warm, I think. I need to do more of it!

FASHION TALES January 25, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Oh I do love a good scone. My mother always makes currant and blueberry scones. such a great idea for the weather. I overloaded on my biscuit intake today, but I want to make these soon. I’ve actually been reading so many food blogs lately so it’s refreshing to see this here. Great recipe Casee.

Casee Marie January 26, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Thanks, Madison! I was actually going to make them blueberry – my aunt makes amazing blueberry scones, I just love them. I’ve never had them with currants so I’ll definitely have to remember that in the future!

Lesley January 25, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I love scones! They go so perfectly with tea. :)

Casee Marie January 26, 2012 at 10:12 pm

They do! I’m not overtly fond of tea, which is something I’m fairly desperate to remedy, because everything about me seems to scream “tea person”!

Honeysuckelle January 26, 2012 at 4:40 am

Holy yum, I love scones and these look drool worthy.

Casee Marie January 26, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Aww, good! I’m very new to the prospect of photographing food so I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to fully capture the greatness of them. ;)

THE-LOUDMOUTH January 26, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I WANT TO HAVE A TEA PARTY WITH YOU.

Kailey January 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm

*____* How incredible do these look? I haven’t even had scones before, but this post is really making me what to try them! Bookmarking for future use~ :D

Melanie January 27, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I’m so down to try this! What a great little recipe to share, and so simple, too! I’m not sure I’ve ever eaten a scone..but the idea of making one just sounds really good, hahaha. Thanks for the recipe!

Monica January 28, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Love scones with Clotted Cream (although the cream is not very good for you LOL). Everytime in London I eat them but this recipe looks fairly easy to bake.