Graphic Eyeliner Trend: Double-Sided Cat Eye

October 12, 2011 · 26 comments

in Style & Beauty

Yesterday I tried my hand at a rather adventurous trend: the double-sided cat eye. I’ve been into graphic eyeliner for a while, but this is one I really haven’t done before. I do the typical cat eye often so I didn’t think it would be a very big step to try the same effect on the inner-eye as well; just the same, I played it safe and kept the inner wing quite small. It was amazing to me, though, what an effect it had. The look really does define and enhance the shape of your eye much more than rimming them with your basic black pencil. I’m a fan!

I was inspired to try the look when I saw InStyle‘s recent feature, and I used the Bent Eyeliner Brush from Sonia Kashuk’s collection for Target as well as my Napolean Perdis China Doll Gel Eyeliner (see my demo of it here). What I love especially about the bent brush is how it makes achieving symmetry with your outer wings so easy; I always used to spend ages trying to even them out, with one eye sloping up and the other shooting straight out, but the angle of the brush makes it so easy to determine where you want to go and actually make it work.

A new favorite of mine is also the A Perfect Kiss Lip Gloss from Charlotte Ronson’s fabulous new collection for Sephora. I’m wearing “Hilary” which was inspired by Hilary Rosenman of Madison Harding. It’s the perfect shade for my skin tone, I think, and it has a great consistency that’s easy to wear. The color is vibrant; it always bugs me how with some lip glosses the color doesn’t pop enough to be worn on its own, but this one really has the power of a lipstick in the lightweight formula of a gloss. Who doesn’t love a bit of girly shine to counteract a flashy, dramatic eye?

Comments

stephanie October 12, 2011 at 10:59 am

All I can say, is the I am def. going to try this. You look BEAUTIFUL!!! :D

Casee Marie October 17, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Aww, thanks! Definitely let me know when you’ve tried it – and maybe tweet me a pic? I’m sure it’ll look gorgeous on you! x

Anna October 12, 2011 at 12:16 pm

that’s such a great cat eye! well done Casee! I’m sure I don’t have such a steady hand to achieve it…I can barely do a normal cat eye!

Casee Marie October 17, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Thanks, Anna! I really don’t have a steady hand at all, but a bit of time and practice and anything can happen! A great tip I picked up is to create small dots and then connect them rather than trying to draw straight lines. It makes the process much easier!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... October 12, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I love it. I wish I could do eyeliner. I’m tragically bad at it and always end up looking like I just got out of a fight ;)

Casee Marie October 17, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Haha! I’ve had some raccoon days, myself. It can be fickle, but I’ve just kept trying at it. Urban Decay’s 24/7 Glide-On eye pencils are fantastic because they go on so smoothly, they make application easy!

Alexis Grace October 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Can you come do my makeup—- please??????

Rachel October 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm

You look stunning, love the makeup.

Kailey October 12, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I am a HUGE fan of statement making eye make-up, so I absolutely love this! You look stunning :D

Casee Marie October 17, 2011 at 8:22 pm

You’re the queen of statement make-up, so that really means a lot! ;)

jessica October 13, 2011 at 6:56 am

You look fab! Such precision, I have never mastered the cat eye look, even though I keep trying! I have watery eyes so it usually just ends up on my chin, not the best look!

Casee Marie October 17, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Thanks, Jessica! It’s really not too bad to apply, but it definitely takes some time to figure out the way it works for you. Have you tried making little dots and then connecting them rather than trying to do a straight line in one fluid motion? That seems to help in a lot of cases. And I’ve had the same problem occasionally when my eyes will get teary, but with Urban Decay and Napoleon Perdis’s liners I find they don’t smudge as much.

Genny October 13, 2011 at 10:05 am

Ahhh, this is such a great idea! And you’re able to pull it off so well. I definitely like the idea of the angled brush, so I may have to pick one up one of these days.

Casee Marie October 17, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Thank yooou. It’s definitely a process for me, but oddly enough I really enjoy it – even if I spend an hour just doing my make-up. Let me know if you try the angled brush – I love the Sonia Kashuk one, but e.l.f. cosmetics makes one (available at Target too) that’s just a few dollars and I’ve heard it works just as well. ;)

Kara October 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm

omg, this looks fantastic! I’m excited to see Charlotte’s lipgloss in action, but even more excited for your eyeliner. I saw it featured in an editorial a few months ago on Amber Heard I believe and tried it that day, but I haven’t done it since.

Casee Marie October 17, 2011 at 9:24 pm

No kidding?! I’m pretty sure it was Amber Heard I saw it on, too; that’s what made me try it! Funny. And I love Charlotte’s lipgloss – I’ve been using it just about every day, it’s a little addictive!

Plami October 13, 2011 at 3:57 pm

i love eyeliner! I’d wear it everyday… if I only had the time to do a more complicated make up every morning….

XoXo
Plami

Casee Marie October 17, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I know the feeling! Most of the time I end up having intricate eye make-up and my hair is up in a clip or ponytail because I spend all of my getting-ready time on the make-up. ;)

Jamillah October 13, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Suuuuuuper hot! Omigosh I would’ve been a hot mess if I tried that!

Casee Marie October 17, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Haha! Thanks, girly. It’s not too bad, really – I think having the right eyeliner is definitely key. I love working with the Napoleon Pedis (I also tried Bobbi Brown’s recently and that one’s even easier!).

Jenmarie October 15, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I LOVE the way it turned out! You must have such a steady hand!

Casee Marie October 17, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Aww thanks, dear! The little angled brush definitely made it easier. A lot of times now I’ll use the bigger brush to do the winged effect and then go back over the corners with the small brush to give it more definition. I also read that making tiny dots and connecting them is easier than trying to do one fluid straight line!

Kirstin Marie October 15, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Casee, it looks beautiful!! I love how it turned out. You look so pretty.

Casee Marie October 17, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Thanks so much, Kirstin! You’re too sweet. (:

Fashnlvr December 10, 2011 at 3:21 pm

You did a great job with this. I tried it out several months ago myself but I think you did a MUCH better job with it! Love the lip gloss too. It is a great color on you!