Catching Up

July 22, 2011 · 30 comments

in Community, Press, Style & Beauty

There has been so much happening within the world of blogging lately, so much to see and read and experience; I feel like I’ve fallen behind to some degree! So here I am to catch up with you all, just in case you missed any of these moments. I’ve had the great privilege of taking part in several wonderful blog events, first of all, so I’d like to talk a bit about those…

Fashion TalesFashion Lyrics: A Group Song

As part of her birthday celebration, lovely Madison of Fashion Tales created an event focusing on translating music through fashion and I was quite honored when she invited me to be a part of it. Our task was to take a favorite lyric or song title and create a visual interpretation of it in some way. As someone quite passionate about music as well as fashion I was, of course, thrilled by the opportunity. I decided to share an outfit because it seemed like an incredibly fun challenge. My song title of choice was George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue which has been a favorite of mine since before I can remember. As soon as I opened my closet doors I knew I wanted to incorporate this Oscar de la Renta tunic I scored earlier this year from a sample sale on Beyond the Rack. You can read all about my interpretation over here and see all the contributions to Madison’s event from the other fabulous bloggers: Ashley of Ashley3Emergy, Jamillah of Made to Travel, Kirstin Marie, Cheryl of Oh To Be A Muse and Lani of Mon Petite Chou Chou (who I’ve just met through the event and whose blog is absolutely divine, be sure to check it out)!

ForelsketNovel Days

My great friend Britta of Forelsket held her very first blog event this week and I’m honored to have been a part of it. “Novel Days”, as you may have guessed, was a celebration of the love between a girl and her favorite piece of literature. All the participants shared a picture and small write-up on either their favorite title or the book they’re currently reading. It was a pleasure to write about Jane Eyre, which, if you didn’t know, is my favorite novel. I’ve talked about how much I love it countless times, but for this event I really tried to delve into the whys of my passion for Charlotte’s great classic. I quite enjoyed reading about the selections from the other participants – among them Gabrielle of Cinderbella’s/Cinderbella’s Diary and Kristin of Bon Bon Rose Girls! You can read all of our literary musings at Forelsket.

Beautifully Invisible – We Are Women. We Are Beautiful. We Are Real: Part One, Part Two

This actually happened at the beginning of the month and I mentioned it briefly in a previous post. I regret that I didn’t give it more attention then because this series by the phenomenally inspiring B of Beautifully Invisible was an absolute triumph. If by some chance you missed it please do go read through both parts; B invited…27, I believe, of us lady bloggers to share a picture of ourselves that we thought represented our real selves as well as a write-up on our opinion on the term “real women”, what makes us real women and why we love being just who we are. Reading how proud each woman is of her real self was so moving. As for my pictures, I was torn between a few and in the end I left it up to B to choose for me (she’s nice like that). With these two I attempted to make a little statement: I remember years ago reading an article (I wasn’t searching for it, mind you!) on “skinny poses”, little tricks on how to stand for pictures in ways that will make you look slimmer. Amazingly enough, that odd splaying of hands across the stomach was one of them. It struck me that I’ve never seen anyone stand like that in my life, and how absurd the whole concept was. Jump ahead to Real Women: I thought it would be an apt representation of Real Me to show the difference between an uncomfortable, “shape-altering” pose and a much more natural stance: me just being me. You can read my musings on the adventure of body image acceptance in Part One of B’s series, along with thirteen other inspiring bloggers.

Thank you to the women who invited me to contribute to all these events. I’m so honored to be thought of among the great talents and inspiring ladies who make up this wonderful community of bloggers. I’ll wrap this post up soon, but I’ve a few more things to share first!

Beautiful bits from around the blogosphere…
- The Simply Luxurious Life – Why Not…Be Casually Elegant?
- The Loudmouth Lifestyle – MDFW (start at the first post and work your way up!)
- Dress With Courage – Become a Better Blog Writer: Part One, Part Two
- Kirstin Marie – DIY Floral Mary Janes
- The Simply Luxurious Life – To Think For Yourself
- Full Time Fabulous – Serenity Now
- Dress With Courage – Outfit Post: Why Fat Is Not a Feeling
- Full Time Ford – Interview: Tom Gets Personal on The Talks

Is something different on The Girl Who Stole the Eiffel Tower?…
I’ve been tweaking the design here and there, if you happened to notice. The biggest job I’ve done is that of melding all the blog’s categories and pages into the top navigational menu. Clicking on the top tabs for Fashion, Beauty, Lifestyle, Books and Community will take you to the master category for each. As I attempt to broaden my content you’ll find sub-categories and related pages that drop down when you mouse-over the main ones. (Such as Blogging Tips, Guest Posts, Events and my wonderful, in-need-of-an-update Blogroll under Community.) My goal for several months now has been to find a cohesive way to provide all necessary navigational links in one place; I’d love your feedback on how well you think this set-up works and if there are any elements I might be missing.

Thanks for reading and have a lovely weekend!

Comments

Hayley July 22, 2011 at 11:44 am

Hi Casee, I got my giveaway prize today!
I’m not there at the moment but my boyfriend told me I had a parcel and I got him to open it on cam for me :) Thank you so much! I can’t wait to get back and start reading it!!

Casee Marie July 24, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Oh, you’re too cute! I’m so glad it got there safely, thanks for letting me know. I’ve sent letters overseas before but this was my first time sending a real parcel. Happy it was a success! And do let me know what you think of the book after you’ve read it. Hope you enjoy! x

Franca July 22, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I know what you mean about feeling the need to catch up, so thanks for this nice little round up of links! have a great weekend!

Casee Marie July 24, 2011 at 11:25 pm

My pleasure! It seems like there’s no end to things a blogger needs to catch up on, especially in the summer. Hope your weekend was well, love!

Kristin July 22, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I’m feeling behind also. Hoping to catch up this weekend. Love the beachy waves btw!

Casee Marie July 24, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Thanks so much, dear! That’s what I get after an hour with the curling iron, ha.

And puh-lease, you’re the queen of blogging/social media. I seriously don’t know how you do it!

cam July 23, 2011 at 5:08 am

lovely images sweets, adorable looks! and really like the way you re-design your blog a little! have a great weekend! xoxo

Casee Marie July 24, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Thanks so much, lovely! I’m glad you like the re-design, too. Hope you’ve had a good weekend. xoxo

sweet July 23, 2011 at 10:50 am

I can say I’ve been neglecting my blog also..I have some personal issues to deal with and it is hard to blog about my feelings because of the things happening around me…

I know I can survive this and everything will be back to normal…

Kisses
Sweet
PensandLens
@mistytewest

Casee Marie July 24, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I’m so sorry you’re having personal things to deal with, Sweet, I hope everything works out! I completely understand, it’s hard to blog about the things happening in your life outside of the computer. There’s sort of an invisible barrier there, I think, and a lot of us just don’t want to cross it. Thinking of you, gorgeous! xoxo

Marissa July 23, 2011 at 11:03 am

I love it that you just met, Lani! She’s one of my favorite Boston bloggers and I’m hanging out with her next week. :)

Casee Marie July 24, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Aww, how fun! I’m sure you’ll both have a blast. I can’t believe I haven’t been to her blog before now, she’s such a gem!

THE-LOUDMOUTH July 23, 2011 at 5:28 pm

First off, you are so freakin’ gorgeous. You have the best hair, too.

Secondly, thank you for mentioning my post(s). They were so fun to put together and I’m happy somebody enjoyed them!

Casee Marie July 24, 2011 at 11:31 pm

First off, you’re too much. Thank you. (:

Secondly, I enjoyed those posts immensely! Actually, I wanted to show them to my mom because I know she’d love to see them. Now I just have to remember to do that. It was such a fun idea and you documented everything so perfectly. Just adorable!

noelani July 24, 2011 at 8:57 am

Hah! I should have known you knew Marissa- she seems to be years ahead of me at finding all the coolest bloggers! And thank you so much for your kind words!! Just made my day. I am terribly behind as well on the blog and all my blog reading and was just working on a post like this, great minds….think and blog alike?

Casee Marie July 24, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Ha! Thank you for thinking I’m a cool blogger, but clearly I’m not because I’ve been missing out on yours for so long! Marissa is a super-blogger, and so wonderful besides.

It seems so easy to fall behind with blogging, as soon as I catch up I feel like I only have a few blissful hours before I’m behind again! It’s a marathon, but you gotta love it.

Jamillah July 26, 2011 at 9:42 am

I’m just chiming in because I heart Noelani, you dear Casee, and Marissa!!! When my favorites become friends it makes me really really happy and I honestly would not change a thing about either of your blogs. I am falling so behind in my blog live too. I’ve been working 12 hour days the past 2 weeks and my internet life has seriously suffered.

Hugs to you both :)

Casee Marie July 28, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Aww, you’re the sweetest! I’m sorry real life has been keeping you so busy, but I hope you’re at least having fun! ;)

Jenmarie July 25, 2011 at 12:52 pm

You HAVE been busy haven’t you? I didn’t even see your feature on Fashion Tales. The outfit you chose to represent the song. Your hair is gorgeous btw! It’s getting so long!

Loving the little changes on your blog. So fancy :)

Casee Marie July 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I have been! Haha. It’s crazy, I’m finding it so hard to keep up with everything. But it’s great fun, too, of course. The music project was such a fun challenge! And thank you, my hair really is getting so long – it took me ages with a curling iron to get just those waves!

I’m glad you like the changes. (: I feel like I’ve just been editing here and there for the longest time!

Kirstin Marie July 25, 2011 at 7:10 pm

You have SUCH gorgeous hair. Seriously!!! Thanks so much for the mention, it means a lot coming from you. <3

Casee Marie July 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Ha! Thank you, girly. (: And of course, I’m still desperate to try that DIY. I just have to find the right pair of mary janes first!

Jamillah July 26, 2011 at 9:45 am

Ummm, NOVEL DAYS!?!?! I flippin’ love that!!! Going to check that series now!

I miss you!!!!!!! I read your comment over at Pocket Change and if you felt a sudden cheeriness for no reason it’s because I sent mass love to you in the universe. You are so sweet and thank you for your words. They meant so much to me.

Casee Marie July 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm

You always give me the biggest smiles! I love you. (:

Holly July 26, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Your blog looks WONDERFUL. I always bookmark your blog posts so that I can go back and click on all of the links when I have enough time. I get so behind on blog reading, ahh. It sounds like you have been up to a lot of exciting things! I really need to get back into blogging and get ORGANIZED. There are so many things that I want to do with my blog, but I seem to just spend so much time reading other blogs that when it comes time to work on mine, I’m too tired! Or uninspired. I need to organize my time better, ha.

Casee Marie July 28, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Aww, thank you, Holly! I know what you mean, it’s so easy to fall behind and drain yourself over blogging. I’m the same way! I follow so many blogs that it’s really difficult to find the time to read every entry and keep up with the blogs I write as well. Everybody else makes it look so easy! Haha.

YvonnaLivianna July 26, 2011 at 1:37 pm

wonderful outfit you look beautiful! Love that red lip. I am also redoing my blog a bit tweeking it here and there. You seem to have everything under control and living life with a smile, which I love!

XX!
YvonnaLivianna
YvonnaLivianna.blogspot.com

Casee Marie July 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Thank you so much! You’re too sweet. Blog revamping can be such a process – it’s easy for us, the writers, to constantly want to make changes because we undoubtedly see our blogs the most, you know? I’m always opening it up and re-reading things, making a list of things I want to improve on. Haha.

FASHION TALES July 27, 2011 at 8:29 am

I’ve been trying to play catch up as well dear & have been incredibly swamped this week with work after being on holiday. I loved your submission & so nice of you to repost. You look fabulous, it was a great group! Congrats to your friend on her first blog event and such a clever one. -xxoo

Casee Marie July 28, 2011 at 3:27 pm

It seems like summer especially makes it so difficult to keep up with blogging. There seems to be even more happening over this season especially! I’m so glad again that you liked my submission and thanks once more for inviting me, it really was such a fun challenge! (: