My Favorite Things in May

June 6, 2011 · 27 comments

in Arts & Culture

May was obviously a phenomenal month with a lot to celebrate – at least for me! First and foremost, the undeniable highlight of my month (and year) as you’ll very well remember, the beautiful birthday post that Jenmarie and so many of my lovely blog friends put together for me on SHE. You all know how much that truly made my day so special. Also special this month was Audrey Hepburn’s birthday and the countless tribute posts that beautified the internet in her honor. I was honored, too, that Jamillah of Made to Travel submitted my Audrey tribute to Beautifully Invisible‘s Link Love with a Twist! There was also the fantastic spring-themed Full Time Fabulous Community blog event as hosted by Kristy Eléna of Full Time Fabulous. I had so much fun creating my little contribution to the event. The next one is happening this Wednesday! Very excited. Another blog event I was thrilled to participate in was Stephanie of The Loudmouth‘s Show Me Your Buns post, where a bunch of us showed off our “blogger buns”. In literature I got to review Haunted by Debra Glass, which was a delight. And of course, the pièce de résistance, my gorgeous new Foley + Corinna bag that made its debut in an outfit post. There were guest posts at Holly Knitlightly and lifeanditsotherdrugs, and we wrapped the whole month up with my first anniversary reader contest!

May was a little wonderfully out of control, wasn’t it? Here are a few other things I was loving in May…

01. Hors de prix (Priceless)watch the trailer

I’ve been wanting to see Hors de prix (aka Priceless), Pierre Salvadori’s re-imagining of the unanimous classic Breakfast at Tiffany’s, since it was first released in 2006. And now, five years later, I finally got around to it! Audrey Tautou was (if you’ll pardon the pun) priceless and perfect as gold-digger Irène and Gad Elmaleh showed adorable charm as Jean, the smitten bartender who chases her. I loved that the story was such a departure from the Audrey Hepburn film because you didn’t feel like you were watching a basic remake; it felt in many ways like an entirely different story. And of course, being that it’s a lavish romantic comedy with one of France’s most fashionable actresses in the leading role, it’s incredibly stylish. The story ventures easily into silliness, but in the most enjoyable way, and I really thought the comedy was refreshing. If you’re ever looking for a feel-good romantic comedy, this is definitely high on my list of favorites!

02. Sally Hansen Salon Effects Nail Polish Stripsbuy them online

If you follow me on Facebook and Twitter you will have heard about my new-found love for Sally Hansen Salon Effects nail polish strips; in short, they’re amazing! I had a singular incident with the application, and that was because I opened one of the protective cases that houses the strips a few weeks before I actually applied them and the strips dried out. Luckily there was a secondary case with lots of extras so it worked out, and a week later they’re still on! I applied a top coat after first applying the strips and later on throughout the week as they started to catch on fabric, etc.

03. Bullett Magazineofficial site

I actually bought Bullett – which focuses on fashion, film, music, art and culture – at Barnes & Noble back in April but it took me until this past month to really get the opportunity to dive into it. So good! Bullett is edgy, unique and very stylish. I’m crazy about the talent in this magazine, from the contributors to the featured artists, which in spring’s Volume 2 consisted of Stephen Moyer, James Frain, Lykke Li, Kristen Wiig, Donald Glover, Jena Malone, Lea Seydoux and countless others. I’m very excited to grab the summer issue which is on newstands now, including Saoirse Ronan, Tom Felton and photography by David Urbanke.

04. The Civil Warsofficial site

The Civil Wars is Joy Williams and John Paul White performing some of the lovliest folk rock music ever. Adele said of them, “They make my heart hurt but make it a bit stronger at the same time too” and I couldn’t agree more. Their debut album Barton Hollow was just released in February, and they’ve already garnered a lot of attention from Taylor Swift and Sara Bareilles as well as being featured in an episode of Grey’s Anatomy. You can buy their album at their official site, but they also have available a live-recorded set for free! They’re the perfect sort of thing to listen to when you’re having a quite night in.

Comments

Krystle June 6, 2011 at 2:56 am

This is a great post!! It sounds like May was simply beautiful for you!! That’s great to hear! :)

I’ve had my first box of Salon Effects for weeks now, and haven’t opened them. I think I might use them this week. I love hearing that people are pleased with them.

Thank you for sharing your fabulous month with us!

Krys
Fierce|Fabulous|Fit
@FierceFabFit

Casee Marie June 6, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Thank you, Krystle! I hope you enjoy the nail polish strips when you try them. I’ve heard mostly good things, though I’ve also heard a few people were disappointed with them. I’m definitely going to be trying them again in the future. (:

Nnenna June 6, 2011 at 2:57 am

May sounds like it was a fantastic month for you Casee! Also, I am sooo in love with the Sally Hansen Nail Polish Strips and get so many compliments when I wear them! If it wasn’t for the price, I would definitely wear them more often!

Casee Marie June 6, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Thanks so much, Nnenna! I know, I’m completely crazy about the nail strips (obviously). They’re so easy to apply and last so long, just perfect. I love the different alternatives – solid colors, textures, etc. Very excited to see how the product grows.

GRIT & GLAMOUR June 6, 2011 at 8:58 am

May was great…and so glad so many ladies are discovering SH Salon Effects! They’re just too fun to ignore!

Casee Marie June 6, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Thanks, Vahni! I don’t know if I would have tried them without hearing raves from you and several other bloggers on Twitter. So lucky I have you gals to recommend the best products!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... June 6, 2011 at 9:09 am

Those nails affects look like such fun!

Casee Marie June 6, 2011 at 11:11 pm

They are, and so easy to apply. Just love them! (:

kate gabrielle June 6, 2011 at 9:14 am

oooh I love that song! I hadn’t heard of them before! Also, I love the Sally Hansen nail strips, but I hadn’t thought to apply a topcoat! Mine started catching on things after about 3 days so I just used nailpolish remover and took them off :p Now I want to rush out and buy a new set lol! :D

Casee Marie June 6, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Oh, I’m glad I could introduce you to The Civil Wars! And without the topcoat the polish strips definitely wouldn’t have lasted as long as they have. Hopefully they work better for you that way! (:

Kirstin Marie June 6, 2011 at 11:57 am

I’m so glad May is over, to be honest! It was by far my craziest month this year, and it’s a relief to know it’s past. You’ve had a fantastic May, my dear!! I’m glad you are loving the Nail Strips. I was so excited when i discovered them way earlier this year :)

xo

Casee Marie June 6, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Thank you, sweets! I know the feeling, looking back made me realize just how much was going on. Hopefully your June is much more enjoyable!

Lyndi June 6, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I missed that you had tried the Sally Hansen nails. Glad you liked them! I’ll have to give them another go some time. What color did you try? The pink was just too plastic-y looking for me, but maybe I should try a patterned one. I can’t remember…are The Civil Wars from TN?

Casee Marie June 6, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Oh, I thought I told you about those! The first pairs that had dried out were rough, but the rest applied really easily and they’ve managed to stay on for quite a while. (:

Kirstin June 6, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Wow, I love your review of that movie, so well written as always. I really would love to see it!

Casee Marie June 6, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Thank you so much, Kirstin! I hope you enjoy it if you do see it!

Jenmarie June 6, 2011 at 6:07 pm

It’s a little scary that May is already over isn’t it? I’m glad it was another wonderful month for you! I definitely want to try out those nail strips sometime!

Here’s to another great month!

Casee Marie June 6, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Thanks, Jen! I can’t believe May is over, yeah. This year is going by so fast! And you definitely have to let me know what you think of the nail strips if/when you try them. They’re so fun!

Jamillah June 6, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Oh friend!!! Your May looked gorgeous :), I’m so glad you had a lovely month and am so happy to be a part of it.

I hope everyone gets on SH Nail Effects!!! The joy I get from fun nails is kind of ridiculous and ENDLESS! Go nail technology! Keep making advances and bringing me happiness. Also, I have never heard of bullet, but I love everything you mentioned…I have a big crush on Lykke Li, I saw her live and she is just enchanting. Also I’m listening to Civil War and am getting kind of overwhelmed. This might be a tad strange to admit, but I get a little overly emotional with music. I have cried on several occasions by being moved and I’m actually getting chills and a little emotional with listening to them as I’m writing. So I’m going to stop now, lol.

Heart you friend. Hope your June is just as gorgeous.

Casee Marie June 6, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Thank you so much, Jamillah love!

The nail effects have seriously blown my mind – I honestly never paint my nails anymore because I can’t get polish to stay on, but these really really work. It’s fantastic! Bullett is amazing, I had never really heard of it until I happened across it at Barnes & Noble. I was so intrigued by all the names. I’m a little jealous that you got to see Lykke Li live! How cool, she seems like such a spectacular girl and such a wonderful talent!

Fashnlvr June 7, 2011 at 6:47 pm

May was certainly a great month and I think yours was really fantastic too. I enjoyed reading about the things you did, read and so on. Also, nice to know another creative fellow blogger born in the merry month of May!

Casee Marie June 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Thanks so much, Madison! May’s a popular birth month, isn’t it? (:

Mordrian June 7, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I love bullet magazine! Im so happy to hear that its finally getting around :-)

x mordrian

Casee Marie June 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Yes! I’m disappointed that I didn’t find out about it while the first issue was available!

Erika June 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Looks like you had a fabulous month! I love the Sally Hansen Nail Effects. I just bought cheetah – can’t wait to try it! I really want to see that movie!

Xo,
Erika

Casee Marie June 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Aren’t they fun! They’ve totally revolutionized how I look at nail polish, really. And I think you’d love the movie – it’s so glam and lighthearted, completely adorable!

2Gitanas June 10, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Can’t blame you! just beautiful.